If you are looking for some last minute places to ring in the New Year, don’t worry, Oakland’s got you covered. While we are still flabbergasted that 2015 is essentially here, it does mean that we get to ring in the new year in true Oakland style. Many of Oakland’s most exciting restaurants, fun theaters, and clubs are opening their doors to the masses to ring in the New Year.
1.) Restaurants with early seatings for a good meal:
- Boot and Shoe Service– The Boot has a 5pm and an 8pm french inspired fixed menu seating tonight, and while the 8pm reservations are almost certainly full, the 5pm is probably still workable.
- Michel Bistro– With a $75 4-course set menu Michel is bound to please with incredible options such as clams and leg of lamb. What’s great about Michel is that they are still relatively under the radar and you can probably sneak in at the earlier reservation times and have a fantastic meal.
2.) DJ’s and Champagne Toasts
- Ramen Shop– Sadly this one couldn’t go under last minute food options due to their insanely quick sell out of their pre-fixed menu for NYE, but they are still offering their 10pm champagne and DJ set for $25. All the champagne you would like and a guaranteed fun, maybe a little more chill, New Years Eve.
- Tribune Tavern– For the most club like experience in Oakland this year head to the Tribune Tavern for three different DJ’s, a champagne toast, and dancing all night long.
- Penrose– A little more chill of a vibe, Penrose is hosting the afrobeat band Zongo Junction with good food, dancing and fun into the wee hours of the morning. $50 gets you admission into the show with one drink ticket and unlimited Penrose delightful appetizers. Doors at 8pm, show at 10pm.
3.) Concerts and Theater Adventures
- Grand Lake Theater– The Grand Lake theater is hosting a New Years Eve night of comedy. Ring in the new year with laughter and fun in one of the the coolest theaters in Oakland. Starting at 10:30pm this all ages show (with adult consent) is sure to be fun for everyone.
- Leo’s Music Club– Hot Buttered Rum and James Nash play at Leo’s tonight to ring in the new year. Hot Buttered Rum is a fun band that fuses bluegrass and reggae and puts on a fun show. And at $35 admission this is a great, cheaper alternative for an exciting New Year’s celebration.
- Yoshi’s– Always count on Yoshi’s to have good bands, especially on New Year’s Eve. Con Funk Shun will play the show on NYE and with a champagne toast and party favors provided it is sure to be a good time (with good food). One of the priciest tickets on our list at $99.
No matter what you do tonight, whether it is one of these activities, something totally different, or hanging out with family and friends at home; we here at Live, Love, Oakland hope you have a wonderful evening reflecting on 2014 and looking forward to the exciting times to come in 2015. It has been a pleasure and so much fun to write for you this year and I can’t wait to share more Oakland adventures in 2015. Best wishes and the happiest of New Year’s to you all. Thank you for your support! Go Warriors! <3