Feeling overwhelmed by Holiday madness? Don’t get lost in the candy canes, follow our red nose in the right direction! Here are a few Holiday events in Oakland to get you in a jolly mood.
When you’ve doubled checked your nice list and it’s still too long, shop here:
- East Bay Alternative Book & Zine Fest – Buy everyone on your list a book, magazine, comic, or piece of art. Also enjoy workshops led by local artists. Don’t forget to pick up a book for yourself on 12/10 from 11am-6pm.
- You could buy a few gifts from the gift shop at the Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate after you tour the 16,000 square foot home that has been completely decorated for the holidays. Then relax and sip on some tea… pinkies up!
- Buy from local artists and craftspeople at the Annual Gifty at The Crucible. Participate in live demonstrations and raffles for some awesome prizes (or just re-gift them – we won’t tell). 12/10 & 12/11 from 11am-5pm.
When you’ve had Holiday music stuck in your head all month:
- Treat your ears and your feet to some remixed Holiday Tunes with the Medicine Ball Ensemble where they will be jamming from 7pm – 11pm at The Terrace Room on 12/22.
- The Oakland Symphony will be performing their annual holiday tradition, Let Us Break Bread Together, at the Paramount Theatre on 12/11 at 4 pm. You only get one chance a year for this celebration – don’t miss it!
When you just need a drink:
- If you’re tired of being a Scrooge and would rather be another scary charater – attend the 4th Annual Krampus Bar Crawl. Where you can dress in a creepy costume and stalk from bar to bar chugging down craft beer. Meet at The Good Hop on 12/10 at 2pm, it’ll end at one of our favorite local bar’s – The Trappist.
- Head over to Era Art Bar for a holiday pop up that provides an opportunity for you to support products created by women from our community. This event also provides you with a complimentary cocktail and that’s never a bad thing. 12/15 5pm-10pm
- If you’re still feeling scrooge-y, at least be a sporty scrooge by grabbing a beer and watching our beloved Warriors beat the Cavaliers on Christmas morning (12/25) at 11:30 am at The Parkway Theatre.
When you need to de-stress:
- Throw on your best holiday outfit (LLO suggests: reindeer antlers & jingle bell earrings to complete your outfit) & head down to The Working Body for a Free “Santa Baby” Choreography Dance Class – The class is free but don’t forget to RSVP! (12/10 12:30-2)
- Take a break from your run around Lake Merritt and hop on a water sleigh that will take you around the lake. Enjoy hot cider and cookies beforehand. $6/person or for $100 you can rent the whole boat for your closest 19 friends (don’t forget to invite the site that told you about it – LLO)!
- Live Love LAUGH in Oakland during the Jewish XMas Comedy Show on 12/23 from 9:30pm-11pm at Spice Monkey
- Cruise away from Jack London Square on the Santa Cruise or the Fa-La-La Holiday Cruise. The latter being a boozy good time while you can get complimentary pictures with Santa during the kid-friendly Santa Cruise.
Whatever you’re into this Holiday season, make sure you’re getting out there and enjoying all Oakland has to offer during the Helladays!