To be thankful for the lives we live and the neighbors we have is important, but to give back to our communities is to truly appreciate the Bay Area. Here is a list of volunteer opportunities you can join to show your love for our area!
5 ways to give back this Holiday season:
1. Have a green thumb? Put it to use planting trees at Boorman Park in Richmond!
- When: November 19. 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Where: S 25th st & Maine Ave, Richmond
Find out more about the Watershed Project!
2. Do you lift, bro? Maybe not, but you can lift a spoon and help serve Thanksgiving lunch to people in our community!
- When: November 24. 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Where: 379 12th St, Oakland
Sign up through the Salvation Army.
3. Feeling crafty? Create holiday cards for disabled seniors living in nursing homes! They can be touching, sweet, or even funny.
- When: Nov 24th & 25th. 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Where: #1 Plaza Del Hombre, Port Costa
Find out why Love Is The Answer over at LITA.
4. Love the Grand Lake Farmers Market? Who doesn’t! Volunteer with Uhuru Foods and you can help fulfill their mission of “Building Economic Development and Commerce for and between African People worldwide.”
- When: November 26. 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Where: Grand Ave & MacArthur Blvd, Oakland
See some pretty pies and sign up to help Uhuru.
5. Ever heard of First Place for Youth? Their mission is to teach foster youth self-sufficiency and responsibility. The youth of First Place will be creating Thanksgiving dinner baskets for those in need and would appreciate your donations of dried and canned goods.
- When: Donations due by November 17
- Where: 426 17th Street, Suite 100, Oakland
Learn more about their program and volunteer with First Place for Youth.
Can’t make it to any of these events? Please, say hello to someone on the street, lend an ear to a friend in need, or grab a trash bag, get out there and help keep our community wonderful!
Leave a Reply